The Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance vide Notification No. 29, 31, 34 dated 25.04.2011 has introduced two new services i.e. Accommodation Services and Restaurant Services under the ambit of service tax. These directions shall come into effect from 1.5.2011.
1) New taxable services shall come into service tax net w.e.f 1.5.2011 vide Notification No. 29/2011-ST dated 25.4.2011 –
- Accommodation services (zzzzw)
- Restaurant services (zzzzv)
2) The limit of exemption / abatement applicable on both the services vide Notification No. 34/2011-ST dated 25.4.2011 is:-
- Accommodation services (zzzzw) 50%
- Restaurant service (zzzzv) 70%
3) In case of hotel accommodation, rooms with declared tariff of less than Rs 1000 per room per day shall not be subjected to service tax.
4) â€˜Declared tariffâ€™ shall include gross charges for all amenities such as air conditioning, furniture, refrigerator etc. provided in room.
For further clarification, please download the attached notifications.